Welcome

Hi everyone, and welcome to our site! Well . . . the honeymoon is over, but our married life is just beginning. If this is your first time to our site, we started the site to inform our friends and family about our wedding events and details. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to keep it up with stories about our daily lives. We don't update it as often as we like, but we hope you enjoy it nonetheless. On Wednesdays, we post some of the behind-the-scenes details of our wedding vendors and projects. If you are looking for the Chrismas Letter you can click on the link in the labels section below or simply scroll down. Please sign our guestbook. We love reading all the comments.

Jen & Rod

P.S. You can check out photos from our honeymoon with these links.



Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Is May Seriously Over Part II

The third week in May was a bit more hectic than the last. But it was one of the most memorable. It started with a book club (my work book club) at my house. The book was "The Fool", a raunchy but hilarious re-telling of King Lear. We served bangers and mash with G&Ts and trifle for dessert.

Thursday, on her due date, CarleyAnne had her beautiful baby girl, Baby J. CarleyAnne is a rock star. She did it with no epidural, no birth plan, and no lamazze. 12 hours in labor au naturale. You go girl!

Friday night I got to spend some time shopping with my BFF, Mindy, at the cute shops on 300 South. Most of the shops stock cool retro thrift finds. My favorite shop, though, is Model Citizen, a clothing store that stocks clothing from only local artists.

Afterwards, Rod and I went to the Salt Lake County Bar spring dinner and silent auction. I am always surprised about how much fun we have at these events. We spent a lot more time than we had planned drinking, dancing, and socializing. The proceeds of the silent auction benefited the Children's Justice Center so we bid away. While we didn't get everything we wanted, we managed to walk away with a couple of goodies.
I worked most of Saturday during the day, but I did get to spend a few hours with Miss Carley, Baby J, Alicia, and Mindy when Carley came home from the hospital. Saturday night, we attended one of our favorite annual events: the ACLU of Utah Annual Bill of Rights Celebration. The keynote speaker, Rachel Maddow (of MSNBC's "The Rachel Maddow Show"), was so poignant and funny. She reminded us how quirky Utah is (like we need to be reminded), but pointed out how important it is to take actions to protect our subcultures. I was also incredibly impressed by Salt Lake Police Chief Chris Burbank, who has made an open and adamant stance against cross-deputizing his officers to act in an immigration-related capacity. As someone who has worked with victims of domestic violence who are afraid to report their abuse for fear of immigration repurcussions, it is so important that all people can report crimes without fear. I'm proud to live in a community with a police chief like Chris Burbank.
Sunday, Mindy and I had an early morning yoga session followed by a good talk in the park and a lunch at Sages (my favorite vegetarian restaurant). I worked in the afternoon, but let off steam with a bike ride at Glen Wild. This is not my favorite trail--it is generally very hot and the front side only has a view of the freeway. It wasn't too bad this early in the season though AND I managed to ride up the steep rocky climb and make a couple of switchbacks that I have never been able to ride before.
What a great (exhausting) week!

No comments: