Only my closest friends (and now the three people who follow this blog) know that I have a secret obsession with Martha Stewart. This is a deep dark secret that I only rarely admit even to myself. I won't subscribe to her magazine (to maintain plausible deniability), but I can't go to the grocery store without picking it up. I am not delusional enough to believe that I could do everything as well as her. I just don't have the time, patience, or, as my friend Allyson was so kind to point out, minions. But some of her DIY projects are just too cute to resist. Although I've had some success,
Cute idea for wrapping wine bottles.
Most of the projects end up just okay

Here are how mine turned out:
Where did I go wrong? Well, Ms. Stewart said that the writing could be added to the cookies by simply soaking a paper towel with food coloring and using a reusable letter stamp (available through Martha Stewart, of course). So I went out and bought the supplies and anxiously waited for the morning of valentine's day to surprise Rod. I was SO disappointed when the food coloring wouldn't stick to the stamp. I tried brushing the stamp with frosting, but this only made a mess. I ended up writing on the cookies (and not well) the old fashioned way (with a frosting bag). Maybe it would work with gel food coloring. Any suggestions?



3 comments:
She was on the "Today" show or something and i saw those cookies. They were so cute! I have no suggestions whatsoever. Here was my thought process when i saw the cookies: "Those are so cute!" "I should do that for V-Day!", then a vision sprang through my mind. It was like a film played of all the past attempts I've made at being crafty. It was usually played out with me getting completely frustrated and angry and yelling at everyone around me, and three little girls, clinging to my legs, screaming and fighting for attention that I was not going to give. My final thought, "Eh, I don't think so".
Kudos for trying it! I am sure with more experimentation you'll get it!
LOL! Thanks for the moral support. As an update, on the Martha Stewart website it goes into a lot more detail about the lettering process. It specifies that you do have to use gel food coloring and blot the letters. You would think that she would have mentioned that detail in the magazine. I guess I'll have to change the post from "Martha Lies" to "Martha Hides the Ball".
I happen to know a woman who worked for Martha Stewart- she was one of her chefs for the Living magazine. first things first. Martha doesn't make these things. she doesn't do them herself. there are a huge team of people doing these and for ever perfect cookie in the picture there wer 100 that looked not so perfect. secondly- I bet 99.9% of her "ideas" are not hers. they are her employees. from talking to people who have worked with her in person she's a bitch. not someone to really aspire to.
Martha is a charactor of perfection. she is the easter bunny of good housekeeping.
own the cute things you're doing- you're doing great. I'm sure rod loved the cookies and i'm sure they tasted great because they were made with love.
kill the idea that you're not suceeding at this- i'm sure you're doing better than she ever has...
Post a Comment