As I was taking Rumba on her morning walk, I couldn't help contain my excitement. I was practically skipping down the street thinking about the fact that today (TODAY) would be Bush's last day in office and Obama's first. It felt as if the whole world was holding its breath in anticipation, watching history in the making.
Then Rumba stopped in her tracks. She wouldn't move and just kept staring at the house in front of us. At first I thought that there was a dog or cat in the house, but then I realized she was looking at the backyard where four deer were standing. We stared at each other, not moving, for what seemed like minutes. I think it was a good omen of things to come!
Later, as I was watching the inauguration with friends at Kate's house, I looked over at her adorable son, Luke. He is only a few months old. I realized that he will be eight (fingers crossed) when Obama leaves office. More importantly, he will grow up never knowing that having a black man as president is world changing.
Although I thought his speech was great, my favorite part of the inauguration was watching the people from all over the world watch and how it affected them. The tears, the hope, it's a new day!




No comments:
Post a Comment