The whole reception went too quickly. Even now, I have moments where I'll remember something that I had completely forgotten or hear a story about something that happened that I had completely missed. I do remember that the dance floor was packed pretty much the whole night thanks to our awesome band, Gearhead. At the end of the night, the crowd made the band keep playing. It was kind of funny because I've never seen a band play an encore at a wedding. The band would have kept playing, too, but our venue was closing down and our towncar was waiting. 

Here are a couple of other moments (in no particular order) that stand out in my memory:
The Cake Cutting. Neither of us really had any idea how we were supposed to cut the cake and I guess we did it wrong because we started on the top layer. We had not planned to save the top layer so it wasn't really a problem, but it did look funny. We did not smash it into each other's face. That was the only bite of cake I got the whole night. I was really disappointed I didn't get more (especially of the almond poppy and rasberry filling layer).

Ladies Night. I asked the band to play a song that would get all the ladies (single and married) out on the dance floor before I threw the bouquet. The went with "Ladies Night" and the girls went crazy. One of my bridesmaids, without prompting, undid her sash and, thus, a limbo bar was born. Some of my guests were more flexible (and sober) than others. I made it under, despite my huge dress, without any problems. But Judge McHugh did not fare so well. 
The Bouquet Toss. As the song ended, I raced to the table to grab the bouquet Elise and Katie had helped me make earlier in the day. I wanted to throw it before anyone had a chance to escape from the floor. This was important because the bouquet was not intended for just the single girls. I have been at enough weddings where the single women are dragged against their will to catch the bouquet and "be the lucky girl who will get married next." I didn't want that for any of my guests. Instead, I made a fortune bouquet. It is basically one bouquet made out of several little bouquests. Each of the bouquests had a silver charm and a fortune on it. All of the charms and fortunes were different. I was so fun to see everyone scramble for all the bouquets. I still don't know who got which fortunes, though. If you got one, please email me or post it in the comments!

The Anniversary Dance. With my actual bouquet, I had something more special planned. About six months before Rod proposed, my grandma was diagnosed with Guillon-Barre Syndrome, a neurological disease that causes temporary paralysis. No one knows what causes it and there are not really any accepted treatments except to administer gammaglobulin and wait. One day she was up walking around, the next morning she could not get out of bed. Although this disease usually goes away 100%, she is older than most of the people affected with it and has had a really hard time recovering from it. When Rod proposed, she still could not walk or even move her legs. After Rod proposed, I told her that she would have to get better so that she could dance at my wedding.
Over Christmas, she still could not walk on her own, but she was starting to get stronger and be able to get around with her wheelchair. She could walk with a walker if her physical therapist was holding onto her. She told me then that she would really like to dance to Anne Murray's "Could I have this Dance for the Rest of My Life" at the wedding.
When I started planning the details of the wedding, I knew the perfect place for it. I asked Larry, my stepdad, to sing it with our band (they learned the song just for our wedding). At the beginning of the song, the band invited everone who was married onto the dance floor. After about 30 seconds, they asked anyone who had been married for less than a year to leave the floor. Rod and I were clearly eliminated. The band continued to eliminate couples by the length of their marriage until only my grandparents were left on the floor. After they had the floor to themselves for awhile, Rod and I joined them. At the end of the dance, I handed my Grandma the bouquet. My grandma still had to hold onto my grandpa for support, but it was incredible to see them dancing together. You could just see the love in their eyes! Other than the moment I said I do, this was by far the most emotional (and unforgettable) moment of the evening for me.
When I was planning the anniversary song, I did not know that my grandparents would win. I knew that they would be out there until almost the end, but I also knew that Rod's grandparents had been married for a long time too. Rod's grandparents, who had taken the shuttle, had to leave just before the song. I tried to get them to stay and the band to play the song early, but it just didn't work out. It turns out, though, that it would have been a very close contest. Rod's grandparents have been married for 58 years--one less than my grandparents. I love that Rod and I both have these great examples of lasting marriages.
UPDATE: This moment seems even more poignant now. I just learned that Grandma is back in the hospital. Her platelettes and white cell blood count are really low. It seems like every time she is making progress something happens to set her back. 

Garter Toss. Mindy was kind enough to get me a garter. I had completely forgot about it. Rod didn't take it off the traditional way (with his teeth), but he still managed. We were so happy when our friend Kevin caught it. His girlfriend of several years, Jael, is beautiful and awesome and we hope that this is a good sign for their futures. 

Let's Get this Party Started. Judge McHugh, never one to sit on the sidelines, grabbed Rod as soon as I finished my dance with my Grandpa and hit the dancefloor. Judge McHugh is such a fun, wonderful person. This only confirmed that we had made the right choice in asking her to perform our ceremony. 
Okay, now it's really official. About midway through the evening, we realized we had still not signed our marriage license. Oops! We had to take a break from the dance floor and git'er done. All jokes aside, though, it was really nice to have a minute alone with just our best man and our maid of honor. It felt so final when I set my pen to the paper. Yes, now we are officially married . . . well, we will be after we remember (post honeymoon) that we also need to fill out the rest of the application and mail them to the state). 
Dancing with my little men. If I haven't mentioned it yet, our ringbearers (my nephews) and our junior groomsmen (my baby brother Jordan) are adorable. Towards the end of the night, I grabbed Bradley and Jordan each for a different dance. The spinning concept was interesting since they are both quite a bit shorter than me (Jordan is quickly gaining on me).
Dancing with Rod's Dad. When the band struck up "Play that Funky Music White Boy," I couldn't resist grabbing Rod's dad and dragging him onto the dance floor. He didn't take too much persuading. :) 
WDWGDAS. Rod is a huge Jimmy Buffet fan. Some of my earlies memories of him were during our first year of law school when Rod would get up and karaoke to Jimmy Buffet. His favorite, of course, was "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw." So for the last dance of the evening (before the encore anyway). Rod requested WDWGDAS. The band leader was a little incredulous, but eventually gave in, "It's your wedding man." I know it is a crass song, but it brought back so many memories during our relationship, and well, it is just a fun song. It was exactly how I thought the evening should end. 
The Getaway. Right before we ran out, our friends and family made a quick stop at the birdseed table. We walked out the door and ran down the front path, getting sprayed with birdseed the whole way. Everyone was cheering. Despite my efforts to shake it out that night, I found about 6 oz. of birdseed in the bed the next morning. I'm sure the Hotel Monaco housekeeping crew is still scratching their heads about that one. :)


Welcome
Hi everyone, and welcome to our site! Well . . . the honeymoon is over, but our married life is just beginning. If this is your first time to our site, we started the site to inform our friends and family about our wedding events and details. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to keep it up with stories about our daily lives. We don't update it as often as we like, but we hope you enjoy it nonetheless. On Wednesdays, we post some of the behind-the-scenes details of our wedding vendors and projects. If you are looking for the Chrismas Letter you can click on the link in the labels section below or simply scroll down. Please sign our guestbook. We love reading all the comments.
Jen & Rod
P.S. You can check out photos from our honeymoon with these links.
Jen & Rod
P.S. You can check out photos from our honeymoon with these links.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
The Rest of the Night
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
©2008 ZumaPhoto.com
Courtesy of My Mom
Posted by
Jen
at
3:43 PM
Labels: Our Wedding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment