Welcome

Hi everyone, and welcome to our site! Well . . . the honeymoon is over, but our married life is just beginning. If this is your first time to our site, we started the site to inform our friends and family about our wedding events and details. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to keep it up with stories about our daily lives. We don't update it as often as we like, but we hope you enjoy it nonetheless. On Wednesdays, we post some of the behind-the-scenes details of our wedding vendors and projects. If you are looking for the Chrismas Letter you can click on the link in the labels section below or simply scroll down. Please sign our guestbook. We love reading all the comments.

Jen & Rod

P.S. You can check out photos from our honeymoon with these links.



Sunday, June 14, 2009

Down and Dirty

Now you might find this hard to believe, but I have been terrible about bringing my camera with me and/or using it this month. Maybe I got burned out on photos during Puerto Rico. Probably not. I have just been so busy that I'm forgetful. Also, my computer crashed (again). So I am behind posting (again). Shocking! I know.

After my week lounging in Puerto Rico, I was in no shape to be on a bike. But Dirt Series (a mountain bike camp ran by Rocky Mountain Bikes) called. Saturday morning started with an intensive skills camp, where I worked on slow descending and ascending switchbacks, straight line riding, front wheel pops, and manuals. In the afternoon, despite the downpour, we were still planning on heading out for a ride . . . until lightening lit up the sky. Our ride got postponed for maintenance classes--gears and cassettes, brakes and shocks--and bike fit instead. We ended the day with a BBQ, beer, and prizes.

The next day we started with the ride. My group, which included my good friend Susan, went to Johns and Sweeneys on the Mid-Mountain trail. We did a shuttle, so it was almost all downhill. That is my kind of ride! We workshopped several switchbacks and some raised objects. Even though I didn't get everything, I definitely felt more confident and am riding much more aggressively. After the daily rain for the last week (seriously! I feel like I'm in Seattle), I was surprised that the trail wasn't muddier. The roots on the trail were slippery, though. I fell hard a couple of times. After beautiful morning weather, the last 30 seconds of the ride were a very painful hail storm. Then the rain started (again)! They ended moving the skills sessions to later into the afternoon, but I had to leave at four to make it to a wedding. I missed the climbing session. :( My legs were still purple two weeks later and I haven't been that muddy since I was a kid, but it was a lot of fun and I learned SO much.


Before, during, and after all the biking excitement, I got to catch with old friends. Friday night, I started the night in American Fork, visiting my friend (since 7th grade) LisaDawn, her family including new little Jackson, and Rachel Anne who was visiting from Ohio. The after party was at The Bayou, where Rod and I met up with Megan and Paul. They are some of our best friends from law school. Megan and Paul have been there since the beginning of our relationship--Paul was a reader at our wedding. They are in town for Brian and Katie's wedding. Paul showed off his new party hat.
Saturday night (after bike camp day 1) was a camp-themed goodbye party for Ari and Patty, who are heading to Philadelphia for dental school. I am so proud of Ari, but I miss them already. I fed my sadness with carmel s'mores (and maybe a few drinks).
Sunday night, after ducking out early on bike camp day 2, I went to the lovely wedding of Brian and Katie. The wedding was in one of our favorite locations, Millcreek Canyon. It was raining like crazy, which is supposed to be good luck. Their wedding was VERY lucky! Their favors were incredibly cute gumball machines. SO CUTE! Congratulations Brian and Katie!

No comments: