Welcome

Hi everyone, and welcome to our site! Well . . . the honeymoon is over, but our married life is just beginning. If this is your first time to our site, we started the site to inform our friends and family about our wedding events and details. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to keep it up with stories about our daily lives. We don't update it as often as we like, but we hope you enjoy it nonetheless. On Wednesdays, we post some of the behind-the-scenes details of our wedding vendors and projects. If you are looking for the Chrismas Letter you can click on the link in the labels section below or simply scroll down. Please sign our guestbook. We love reading all the comments.

Jen & Rod

P.S. You can check out photos from our honeymoon with these links.



Monday, December 3, 2007

Giving Thanks!

I started writing this some time ago, but have been so busy I haven't had a chance to post it. I usually don't make a list of things I'm thankful for at Thanksgiving, but several things have happened this year that have made me especially grateful for all the wonderful people in my life.



My Family:

First and foremost, I have the best grandparents in the whole world. My Grandma and Grandpa Ellis have been there for me through everything. The last 6 months have been very trying because my Grandma suddenly and unexpectedly lost the use of her legs. She was diagnosed with Guillon-Barre Syndrome (a neurological disease). Seeing her struggle with this and being unable to help her has been unbelievably difficult. I can't imagine where I would be without the love and support of my grandparents and it scares me to think of a world without them.

The rest of my family is really wonderful too. Most people are lucky to have just one set of parents who love and support them--I have three. In addition to my Grandma and Grandpa Ellis, who have always treated me more as a daughter than a grandchild, I have my Dad and Mom-Dena, who raised me, and my mom and her husband Larry, who have always made an effort to be part of my life even though they live so far away. It is such a great feeling to know that so many people love and care about me. I am also really glad that I have been able to develop a close relationship with my siblings. Although not all of us are close in age, we all keep in close contact with each other.

Very soon, I will be able to add another wonderful family to the list. Rod's family really is fantastic. Rod's dad is one of the nicest people I've ever met. It is clear that he has always put the needs of his sons before his own. (I may be biased, but I think he did an excellent job). I always look forward to visiting with Maw Maw and Paw Paw, Rod's grandparents who would do anything for Rod. Sterling, Rod's stepdad, is a lot of fun. He always makes sure that we have seats to the football games (Geaux Tigers) and takes time out of his schedule to visit with us. The list wouldn't be complete, however, without mentioning Rod's brother Stephen, who provides us with endless amounts of entertainment. All of these people, in addition to Rod's aunts, uncles, step-brother, and cousins have bent over backwards to make me feel like a part of the family.




Rod:

He really is the best. He is so thoughtful and generous. Whenever I'm busy or stressed, he always goes out of his way to make things easier for me. I can't tell you how many times I've come home to have an amazing dinner waiting for me or walked into the laundry room to find the laundry all washed and folded. He has been really supportive with my career and is always here when I need a shoulder to cry on. We make such a great team. Coming home to him is the best part of my day.

My friends:



I have the most amazing friends! This last weekend, Mindy (my maid of honor) made a quick trip to Idaho. She, Carley (another bridesmaid), and I got silly over cook-n-serve pudding. We have been friends since junior high and have so many memories together. While I was home for Thanksgiving, I saw LisaDawn, who I have been friends with since 7th grade. We still keep and touch and whenever we see each other we have so much to talk about. I feel so lucky to have met my best friends so early in my life. Every one of my bridesmaids is someone who I have known and counted on since high school. Since them I have made close connections to so many people. It has been next to impossible to come up with a guest list for the wedding because there are so many people that I consider to be close friends. I have such great friends from undergrad and grad school, my internships and clerkship, and all of my trips. You know who you are and that even though I've been really busy that I'm so glad that you have been part of my life. :)

My Job:

Don't get me wrong, it's still work, but I LOVE what I do. Not only is the nature of the work challenging and exciting, but I think I'm pretty good at it. I work with so many talented attorneys who are willing to give me all the guidance and opportunities to learn I need. I have had the chance to play a meaningful role in some significant cases. It is so great to be exposed to this kind of work so early in my career. Now I know this overlaps a bit with number 3, but I also have great friends at work. It is a rare and wonderful thing to like the people that you work with.

Cheers to another wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I can forgive you for posting that picture. Seriously, I look like a chubby zombie.